To my baby girl,
Before you even entered the world, you were anticipated, loved, cherished, and wanted. Now that I can hold you in my arms, those feelings have multiplied tenfold. I look at you with complete wonder, melt with each coo you make, and fall deeper in love every time you rest your tiny head on my chest. You are actually ours - our perfect gift from God — a precious life whom He has trusted to our care.
Though it pulls at my conscious, I refuse to live in fear of this new beginning, but instead, am approaching each day with overflowing thankfulness, each moment with a spirit of love.
I’m soaking in the sweetness of lullabies from the rocking chair at 2am and the vision of your daddy holding you in the crook of his strong arm.
How you drift to sleep as I walk around the house, reading from random books on the shelf so you learn to feel safe with my voice.
I am so excited to teach you wave and hug, to watch you open your stocking on Christmas morning, to pull a stool up to the counter and bake cookies together, to witness you chasing your puppy while giggling uncontrollably… but it can all wait.
Right now your are so innocent and soft. You are our baby girl. And before you start changing and growing before our very eyes, there are a few things I want you to know.
- I love your daddy with all my heart. He is kind and warm, fiercely loyal, and the most driven man you’ll probably ever meet. On the day you were born, he held my hand and amidst the pain and fear I was experiencing, he made me feel like both the most beautiful and strongest woman in the world. He makes me feel like that every day. He makes me laugh every day. He encourages me to be active and enjoy that piece of cake. We are a team and always will be.
- It is more important to us that you explore, challenge yourself, try new things, and give your best that that you “succeed” by any score or standard. You must not let a fear of failure or of judgement ever stop you from trying. Audition for the solo. Volunteer to go first. Try out for the team. Life is full of adventures and surprises and bravery is what will allow you to experience them fully. Be brave, little one, for you were made to do great things.
- Great things are not always big. We hope to show you the power of a kind word or simple gesture. Boldness is admirable, but so is gentleness. Many a friendship has grown or life has changed because of something as simple as a hug.
- People will continually tell you to be a lady, to smile, to behave. These are all good things, things I hope you’ll do often— but I also give you permission to cry, to ball your fists, skip down the aisles of stores, tell jokes, and play in the mud. You are allowed to have emotions—they make us human. You don’t have to hide them or fear them— in fact, I’d prefer you to recognize them, come and talk to me about them. I’ve experienced every emotion in the book and want to help you through yours, too. It’s okay to be heartbroken, angry, goofy, quiet, and strong willed. You are not obligated to any certain personality type simply because of your gender and the world’s perception of it.
- You are beautiful. People told you this from the day you were born. But I hope as you grow, you see beauty as a rounded quality— not just superficial. You were created with purpose and uniqueness— crafted to stand out, not fit in. So be your own kind of beautiful, my darling. Don’t let the world tell you what that looks like. Have confidence, be healthy, be genuine, be kind— this is beauty.
- You never have to feel alone.
- Life is too short to give up chocolate.
- There’s only a certain time in your life you can get away with wearing whatever you want anywhere you want— enjoy it.
- You will find more happiness and excitement outdoors than through any screen or toy.
- Music has healing powers.
- Our love is unconditional.
- Family is first and forever.
- God is for you, even when it doesn’t feel like it.
- So are we.
We can’t wait to do life with you, sweet baby girl. We won’t always get it right, but we promise to do our best.